All Collections
Tax Questions
What tax documents will I receive from Public?
What tax documents will I receive from Public?
Updated over a week ago

If you had a taxable event during the 2022 calendar year (for example, you sold stock, received a free referral stock, or dividends), you will receive a consolidated Form 1099 tax document from Apex Clearing, our clearing firm, which you can access via the Public app.

Just a heads-up, if proceeds from your dividends do not exceed $10, or if you did not sell stock during 2022, you will not receive a tax document.

Additionally, if you bought or sold crypto assets on Public in 2022, you will receive an annual crypto tax statement from Public's crypto trading partner Apex Crypto. This tax statement provides details around your short-term and long-term gains and losses from cryptocurrency investments in 2022.

When filing your taxes, you will use this crypto tax statement to complete IRS form 8949.

You’ll receive an email from our clearing firm, Apex, when your 1099 forms are ready. All tax documents, including 1099 forms and crypto tax statements, will also be made available in the app. Please note that 2022 tax forms will be made available to Public members in February 2023.

Once your tax forms are available, you'll be able to access them in the Public app:

  1. Select the icon with 3 lines on it in the top left corner

  2. Scroll down and select Account Settings

  3. Scroll down to the Documents section

  4. Tap Tax Documents to access your 1099 forms

  5. Tap Crypto Statements to access your Annual Crypto Statement

You can also access your tax forms via Public for Web on your desktop browser.

  1. Select your Profile Icon in the top right corner

  2. Select Settings and Privacy from the dropdown menu

  3. Tap Documents

  4. You can find your 1099 forms under Tax Documents and your Annual Crypto Statement under Crypto Statements

If you have questions at all, the team is always on standby in the app Chat or via email at

Please note that this is for informational purposes only and should not be considered tax advice. Public members should consult their tax advisors concerning any applicable tax laws.

Did this answer your question?